The Mums Guide to Safe Online Shopping Online shopping is increasing as more and more mums are realising the advantages of shopping from home or work when it is convenient, without children, car parks and the hassle of going to the shops. To ensure your online safety we have put together our top tips to keeping you safe when purchasing from online retailers.
Prior to Purchasing:
1. Browse the site and look at the key pages like About Us, Contact Us, Delivery and Shipping terms, Payments and Refunds and what happens with Warranty/Faulty stock. Ensure that the site can answer any of your questions in relation to key issues such as how to pay, how they ship the goods, what happens if you want to change your purchase and how they ensure you receive the product.
The Mums Guide to Safe Online Shopping
2. Check the contact details. I personally like seeing a phone number (it helps me to feel more comfortable) as well as an email address that I can utilise if I have an issue. This way I can either email or phone depending upon my needs and time constraints. Also depending upon the purchase you are making, you may like to test the contact details by calling them or sending an email with a product question prior to purchasing.
4. You can also do a quick Google search or check their Facebook page to see what comments there are about the company.
1. Make sure you only pay via a secure web page. Check the URL/website address to see that it begins with https:// and that there is a locked padlock icon in the browser.
2. Check to verify the SSL Certificate and if it is still valid – this just can be done by pointing or clicking on the seal.
3. Payment through PayPal or BPay can act as a further security measure.
4. Never send your Credit Card details via email.
5. Always print a copy or keep a copy of your receipt/transaction as proof of purchase.
In many ways, shopping online is similar to shopping in-store:
– Trust your gut! If you are not sure about a shop, dig a little deeper or go elsewhere.
– It if looks too good to be true – it probably is.
– If the website look suspicious or unprofessional be wary – would you purchase from a store if the didn’t have a good looking shopfront or if their staff didn’t give you the information they were after?